Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bikram Yoga

I love yoga. I really do. I think it's relaxing. Even though I don't do it all that often, I enjoy it. So I convinced myself and Amy to do Bikram Yoga. Let me jsut say that Bikram Yoga is hot. Like over a hundred degrees in the studio hot. But that still didn't turn me away. Even Amy telling me how hot it was and how hard it was. I kept telling myself I needed to do something to try to get back and shape, and this seemed like a good idea Plus I know that Yoga is good for when you have back pain...which I do. So, last Monday, I rolled out my very new looking yoga mat next to Amy's in the studio. First impression....it smelled. BAD. Like hundreds of sweaty old men had been in there. Which I'm sure is pretty accurate. Amy told me to keep breathing through my nose and it would help. So, we start class...blah blah blah. It was HARD. and yes, I was sweaty. Pretty sure I had never sweated more than I did that night, and I rarely sweat. (It's weird, but true.) I mean, people were literally dripping with sweat. Which is where the smell came from! Anyway, I thought I was keeping up pretty well. I could do the majority of the poses because I had done them before. So I was pretty impressed with myself. And then, our instructor had us do a pose...I don't even know what it was called...but we had to touch our foreheads to the floor. Yes, our HEAD to the floor. So our instructor demonstrated how it should look. Pretty sure my expression said it all when I looked at Amy. Um, no way. But, I knew I had to try it out. Obviously, my head did not touch the floor. C'mon...I'm not that flexible! Other than the crazy head-touching-the floor nonsense, class went pretty well. I was amazed that I had 1) survived it and 2) enjoyed it 3) wanted to do keep doing it. (I had better wanted to keep doing it...I had just dropped $40 for a month!)

Anyway...that was my first experience. I've been back about 3 times now, and I LOVE it. I still think it smells awful, and the heat...ehhh. bearable. I love the way I feel after class is over. I feel pretty bad-a for lasting 90 minutes in a room that's over 100 degrees. So...moral of the story...if you haven't tried Bikram Yoga (or any yoga) you should. It's amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment